Font size:

MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM AUSCHWITZ-BIRKENAU FORMER GERMAN NAZI
CONCENTRATION AND EXTERMINATION CAMP

News

Professor Władysław Bartoszewski turns 80

20-02-2002
More than 300 people, including the Polish prime minister, clergy, members of the diplomatic corps, and historians attended a gathering held at the Royal Castle in Warsaw to mark Professor Bartoszewski's eightieth birthday.

Camp hospital data in digital form

05-02-2002
The computer section has finished work on the printout and statistical analyses generated from the data base created in 2000-2001 on the basis of the archival record books of the Block no. 20 camp hospital.

Work Continues on Building A-50

04-02-2002
Work is continuing on the adaptation of the so-called Aufnahmegebäude (now containing the visitor reception center and film screening room) to house preservation workshops and storage space.

Report on the state of martyrdom museums in Poland

30-01-2002
The Museum has issued a call for the martyrdom museums in Poland (Majdanek, Sztutowo [Stutthof], Rogoźnica [Gross-Rosen], Treblinka, Chełmno nad Nerem [Kulmhof], Sobibor, and Belzec) to report on their position in regard to their current situation.

The Holocaust in Berlin

02-01-2002
A temporary exhibition titled "Holocaust - Nazi Genocide and Motifs of its Remembrance" is open from January 17 through April 9 at the Deutsches Historisches Museum' in Berlin.

Bunker No. 1 Will Be Commemorated. This first provisional gas chamber in Birkenau

20-12-2001
Work is under way to prepare for the commemoration of the site where, in 1942, the so-called "Little Red House" was located. This first provisional gas chamber was set up in a vacant farmhouse in the village of Brzezinka, from which the residents had been expelled. The Nazis killed thousands of people at this site. In 1943, after four new gas chambers with crematoria had gone into operation, the Germans tore down the "Little Red House."