Master Plan for Preservation
Master Plan for Preservation (MPP) is a complex and multiannual programme of preservation works funded by the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation with the aim of preserving the remains of the German Nazi concentration and extermination camp.
The Master Plan for Preservation complements the conservation activities of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum. The plan is implemented through preservation projects covering specific objects or via a comprehensive approach to conservation problems. The works are planned, executed and supervised by an interdisciplinary team of specialists representing sectors such as monuments conservation, construction, handicrafts, or chemistry.
The conservation plans include: sites of the former camps of Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II-Birkenau (along with the remained buildings, the ruins of the gas chambers and crematoria, the remains of the barracks and other facilities, sewage systems and drainage ditches, roads, fences, railway infrastructure), as well as thousands of post-camp items, and documents on exposition or stored in the warehouse.
The greatest needs are related to the conservation of the buildings of the former Auschwitz II-Birkenau camp, and an area of land preserved to this day in the form of a reserve. A set of 45 brick barracks located in section BI requires urgent intervention. Execution of works on these unusual objects require comprehensive solutions incorporating complex problems related to soil and water, construction, as well as conservation. Therefore, the first projects implemented within the framework of the MPP will predominantly focus on the preparation of these authentic buildings for the multi-stage comprehensive conservation works.
Projects implemented within the framework of the Master Plan for Preservation
- Conservation and protection of the remains of the first kitchen and bath house of the camp (inventory no. A-30) on the premises of the former KL Auschwitz I
- Preparatory works necessary to carry out and support further conservation and building activities on the premises of the former KL Auschwitz II-Birkenau
- Control of the water regime on the premises of the former KL Auschwitz II-Birkenau
- Conservation examination required to carry out further works related to the implementation of the mpp and preservation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial
- Preservation and conservation of section BI along with its related buildings - design phase
- Preservation and conservation of section BI along with its related buildings - conservation of the brick barracks of inventory no. B-123 i b-124
- Conservation of the eastern half of the wooden barracks of inventory no. B-210 located on the area of section BIIb of the former Auschwitz-Birkenau camp
- Conservation and protection of the ruins of the gas chambers and crematoria of the former KL Auschwitz II–Birkenau
- Modernization of the warehouse for textile objects from the collections of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim
- Conservation of textiles from the collections of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim
- Conservation of museum objects and archive materials from the collections of Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Oświęcim